Thursday, December 24, 2009

Using Ramon at Unificacion Maya



I have just finished the Unificacion Maya Ceremonies for another year.  It is pretty all-absorbing for the month of December, and I haven't been able to take even a moment for blogging.  However, it is over now, and I am determined to get back on my usual schedule.

This Pineapple-Ramon Upside Down Cake was the dessert for our second ceremony.


This cake was invented and baked by Doña Juana, the president of the Ix-canaan Women's Group.




We also had a Ramon Information Day.  After the ceremony at the Ixlu Archeological Site on Day 4, we went to the production facility for Nutri-Naturales, where they had prepared a snack of several items made from the ramon flour that they are producing.



They served a hot and a cold ramon beverage with ramon cookies, ramon sweet breads and these excellent ramon rolls (bollitos).



3 comments:

I am so excited to find your blog! I learned about ojoche (ramon nut) in Costa Rica and am trying my first experiments baking with it today. Is there a way you could post a recipe for the pineapple cake--it looks amazing!

Hi Deborah, I'll try to get the recipe from Doña Juana and post it. The cake really was delicious ... I have blogged the recipe for another ramon cake that had bananas in it and it was even better. I'll try to find it.

This has taken some time .. but here is the recipe for the Pineapple Ramon Cake:

8 eggs
2 cups flour
1 cup ramon flour
3 tsp. baking soda
3 bars of margerine
1 pound of sugar
1 pineapple

1. Put some sugar in the baking pan and put it over fire until it glazes. Cover the bottom of the pan with pineapple slices
2. Beat the margarine with the sugar. Add the yoks of the eggs and continue beating until well combined.
3. Mix the dry ingredients together, then mix into the wet ingredients, blending well.
4. Pour into baking pan over pineapple slices.
5. Bake 45 - 50 minutes at 350 degrees

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home